Richard, it is the conventional wisdom to consider each major release to be
like the tire deflators at the parking garage exit.  However, John is one
of the primary developers and he would know if this was an exceptional time
when it would be ok to back over a major release barrier.  That said, there
are a variety of issues such that some features may not work correctly in
one release or another, as discussed at great length here.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 1:55 PM R Losey <rlo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just a very similar question a little while ago (I ran 4.x on Linux and
> 5.x on Windows & iMac). At that time, they recommended that I use the same
> major version everywhere, so I used flatpack to bring my Linux system up to
> 5.x.
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 11:07 AM Fred Tydeman <tydeman.f...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Will I run into problems if I use both GnuCash 4.14 and 5.6 on the same
> > file / book?
> > That is, 4.14 is on my current production Linux system and where I use
> > Gnucash.
> > I have installed a later Linux system on a different disk partition and
> it
> > has Gnucash 5.6
> > If I were to use Gnucash 5.6 to enter some data, and then switch back to
> > 4.14, will the
> > data / book be OK?
> >

> --

David Carlson