Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 09:52:49 -0400
From: Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepf...@comcast.net>
To: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] sales tax liability report?

On 5/9/2024 2:57 AM, Deva via gnucash-user wrote:
> Ted,
>
> If you have setup your accounts based on suggestions in the tutorial and
> concepts guide, you can try the following report -
>
> Reports -> Income & Expense -> Income and GST Statement
>
> In your case, GST = Sales Tax

We MIGHT need a clarification, but my sense was that the sales tax
amounts collected but not yet sent to the gov't were (correctly) being
credited to a liability, not an income account. So would not show up as
an account under an I&E report. In other words, the amount collected (on
behalf of some gov't) not being considered income so when paid to the
gov't not an expense. Never YOUR money, just holding it for the gov't
till sent, quarterly, or whatever.

Maybe what we want here is a better description of the report that is
wanted? What is it supposed to show?. For example, were I running a
business that was collecting sales tax for many states, I'd probably
want a report showing how much I owed each << and I think I would be
using part of a Balance Sheet report to get that (ignore the rest of
it). in other words, I'd have a parent under liabilities "sales tax
owed" under which a child for each jurisdiction. Run each quarter (or
whatever) looking at JUST this parent and its children to see what
payment to make to each jurisdiction >>

Michael D Novack