I think I've cracked it. Thanks to Adrien and David for the pointers.

I have created an Accrued Expenses account in:

Liabilities:Accrued Expenses

At the final day of my current accounting period I create a transfer which adds money to this account as such:

Actions > Transfer

Within the pop up:

 * Set date to final day of accounting period.
 * Amount: Expected accountant fee.
 * Transfer From: Liabilities:Accrued Expenses
 * Transfer To: Expenses:Professional Fees:Accounting

When the invoice from the accountant is received I return the funds from the accrued accounts:

Actions > Transfer

Within the pop up:

 * Set date to that of invoice.
   221101-231031
 * Amount: Previously expected accountant fee.
 * Transfer From: Expenses:Professional Fees:Accounting
 * Transfer To: Liabilities:Accrued Expenses

So in summary from how I now understand this GNUCash doesn't have any method of linking the accrued expense to the invoice, it just has to be processed manually.

Thanks!