> On May 15, 2024, at 17:58, Chris Miller <c...@tryx.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> GnuCash will import bank data in OFX format. OFX imports advise me of
> activity that originates with the bank, so I can "sync" my books with the
> bank. So far; so good.
>
> Wells Fargo produces an OFX import file with "WebConnect", but I have been
> using Wells Fargo "Direct Connect" for thirty years. "Direct Connect" allows
> me to write checks and transfer funds from QuickBooks, but "OFX Import" does
> not, which makes sense, because it is an import, not a dialog.
>
> I see that there is a way to send instruction to the bank and it is
> AQBanking, which is an open source library that comes with GnuCash. I suspect
> that AQBanking will be tricky to configure, so I'm looking for advice,
> specifically advice on configuring AQBanking to run with Wells Fargo.
> Reference to a specific AQBanking monograph for Wells Fargo would be
> outstanding.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> --
> Chris.
I’m sorry to say that sending instructions via AQbanking will never happen.
Even before Quicken (and even Intuit before them) started actively trying to
deep six DirectConnect, it was highly impractical for anyone on the outside to
handle sending instructions. The costs of gaining access to a DirectConnect
test server made it unthinkable for an open source programmer to attempt to
include sending instructions via DirectConnect. Add to that the fact that
sending instructions essentially means moving money out of someone’s account,
the risks to an independent developer become enormous.

All but 2 of my financial institutions have ceased supporting DirectConnect
even for downloading transaction data. And one of them has crippled the content
of the description field so badly that I’ve bailed to CSV. That leaves 1 out of
what used to be 8 institutions that I could use with AQbanking. The end is near
(though a few banks may hold out for a few more years).

--
Dave Reiser
dbrei...@icloud.com