On 3/1/2010 3:37 PM, David Shaw wrote:
This does the trick, but I still do not understand why
--delete-secret-key removes BOTH the primary and subkey secrets
when I specifically gave only the ID of the subkey?  Shouldn't it
remove exactly what I say and no more?

It has to do with how keys are specified.  In GnuPG, you can specify
a key in a number of ways - by name, by (any) fingerprint, and by
(any) key ID.  So if you have a key named "foobar", and the key ID is
AAAAAAAA and the subkey ID is BBBBBBBB, you could refer to that key
with any of "foobar", "AAAAAAAA", or "BBBBBBBB".  When you say
"--delete-secret-key BBBBBBB", you're actually saying delete the
whole key.

Can this be overridden?  I thought that is what the ! suffix was for,
but it still deletes the whole thing.