On 02/03/2011 17:23, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
On 2/3/11 8:17 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
So, you're saying that hams are not smart enough to figure out how to
use expert mode if they really want this functionality? :)

You're moving the goalposts.  That was responding to someone who denied
the usefulness of comments at all.  If I'm establishing there are
communities who use comments, and these communities often exist under
the radar of list members,

I don't disagree with anything above, but

then it's disingenuous to say "but they can just use expert mode."

Why? Restating my argument in a more serious fashion:

1. There are very few people who usefully benefit from comments
2. Most novice users who add a comment do so badly
3. Therefore moving the option to expert mode is a win for the community.

Whether it should be in normal mode or expert mode is a completely
different question from whether there exist a significant number of
users who find the comment field useful.

I actually disagree with this as stated, although I will grant you that point 2 above is included in the overall issue. :)

As long as we're moving things into expert mode, I'd like to see all
non-default options moved into expert mode, including key lengths.  I've
never seen anyone outside of the intelligence community who had a need
for a 4096-bit key: why do we support generating them?  I've seen people
screw up expiration dates more often than I've seen them use expiration
dates as part of a sane, rational security policy: why is this option
part of the default, why isn't setting an expiration date reserved for
expert users?  Etc., etc.

That all sounds good to me.

Doug (seriously)

                        -- OK Go