On 05.07.2019 11:26, Peter Lebbing wrote:
PS: Before you blame archive.org: they respect robots exclusions and
wishes from individual site owners. It was keybase.io which allowed it
in the first place, although it may or may not have been a conscious
decision on their part.

To be honest I'd consider this a separate matter. Because if the data is deleted from site X but archive.org snapshots it it's archive.org that now processes your data, not site X.

Now, of course I do agree with your overall conclusion that the data is spread throughout the Internet anyway (through mailing lists, git logs etc.) but that doesn't mean that social sites shouldn't do their due diligence w.r.t. data deletion.

As for robots.txt not all archiving sites respect it:
https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Robots.txt

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--