On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:59, Marcin Wrochna said:

> However, I cannot make `gpg --symmetric` encryption work on the remote,
> as it tells me getting a passphrase is "Forbidden".

Right.  It does not sund like a good idea to give the server access to
your local password store (in gpg-agent).  This way the server might get
access to any password sored in the cache.

You need to look at the code in gnupg/agent/commands.c - search for the
function cmd_get_passphrase.  The first statement there is

  if (ctrl->restricted)
    return leave_cmd (ctx, gpg_error (GPG_ERR_FORBIDDEN));

The function (test with gpg-connect-agent and "help get_passphrase") has
an option --no-ask which only returns value from the cache or errors
out. What we might do is another option (e.g. --only-query) to only
popup the pinentry and return the value.  Maybe this can be the default
for a restricted connection.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein