Matthias Apitz wrote:
El día miércoles, febrero 28, 2024 a las 10:32:43 +0100, Werner Koch via
Gnupg-users escribió:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 20:52, Jacob Bachmeyer said:

Therefore, pass(1) almost certainly has its own list of keys stored
pass stores the fingerprints of the keys in a .gpg-id file and allows to
set different ones per directories.

Werner,

I have only one .gpg-id file on my L5 mobile in my password-store:

purism@pureos:~$ find .password-store/ -name .gpg-id
.password-store/.gpg-id

purism@pureos:~$ cat .password-store/.gpg-id
CCID L5

That .gpg-id file would be the list I was talking about. It seems that pass(1) stores the actual keys on your main GPG keyring, but keeps a list of /which/ keys should be able to decrypt passwords separately. (Also ensure that there is never a rogue PASSWORD_STORE_KEY variable in your environment: if set, it overrides the search for a .gpg-id file.) There is also a facility for maintaining GPG signatures on those .gpg-id files, which would make sneaking in Mallory's key far more difficult if you were to use it. I suspect that the pass(1) manpage has more information and may be interesting reading. Overall, this seems to be a good design.

I would also suggest using the key fingerprints instead of names when you reencrypt your password store, as I suspect that your new and old smartcard keys may have similar names.

As Werner mentioned, you can also have different .gpg-id files for different parts of your password store, if you wanted some passwords to only be available with certain smartcards.

-- Jacob