On Fri Mar 15, 2024 at 20:16, Bence Ferdinandy <be...@ferdinandy.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been poking at this issue now for some time, and haven't been able to
> find
> any info regarding this in the man pages or online.
>
> I'm running Regolith (basically Ubuntu with i3), and normally my gpg key is
> unlocked by me logging into the graphical session, i.e. using the key to
> decrypt something does not ask for a key. What I noticed though, is that if
> I want to decrypt multiple things in parallel, first the decryption process
> seems to slow down faster than linear, and then some (not all) decrypt tasks
> start prompting me for a password to the key. I've done a couple of
> experiments, and my feeling is that even though the decrypt task are run in
> parallel, something is done serially, but I'm not sure what and where exactly
> and that there is a timeout on waiting for this. My best bet, is that the
> password for the key needs to be fetched from the gnome keyring (? if it's
> called that) and that gpg-agent times out waiting for this and just requests
> it
> from the user.
>
> I made a short script in python (attached) demonstrating this. On my machine,
> setting WORKERNUM=7 is enough to trigger the issue.
>
> Could somebody point me to a resources explaining what is happening here? And
> more importantly, is there some setting I can change to avoid the occasional
> password prompts?

After looking at logs even more, I found that actually gpg-agent reports
running out of memory. Based on a discussion I found
(https://dev.gnupg.org/T4255), I set `auto-expand-secmem 100M` in
gpg-agent.conf which seems to have resolved the issue even with 100 parallel
threads. I have no idea if this 100M is way too much or not, but I haven't
found any mentions of a downside to such a setting and it seems to work as
expected, so I'm happy for now.

Best,
Bence