If it's "not monorepo", can you clarify if you have multiple upstreams that
point to one repository/material? That is the scenario that triggers
fan-in, and that does at least indicate that the repo is somewhat being
treated as a monorepo in the sense that you have multiple pipelines
directly dependent on that repository.

Otherwise you might need to share more specific examples of pipelines,
dependencies and the materials they have, along with the behaviour you
observe vs. desire.

To successfully trigger a downstream, all upstreams only need to pass (on a
given material version) if they share a material. If they *do not* share 1
or more materials then the behaviour should be as you describe - the
downstream will trigger with the last successful version of each upstream
stage (no fan-in required).

-Chad