Good evening!

I don't want to get involved too deeply in such a sterile discussion. It takes
us nowhere.
I have mandated deposit in my University's repository (ORBi) and since there is
no way I can force my colleagues to "obey", I have just made official a
procedure whereby the only publication list being considered in a Liege
University member's C.V. Is the one produced by ORBi. Simple.

This explains ORBi's success. By the way, the list is different from what you
see on line in ORBi. It rearranges every publication according to it's status,
so that there is no longer a need to sort everything out as we had to do when
people were submitting their own publication list.

Of course, this does not solve the question of immediate open access. Only
those papers published by publishers who agree upon immediate access on line
are immediately accessible on line. The others must be immediately deposited
but cannot be seen fully upon publication. They must await the end of the
publishing house's embargo period, 6 months for most of them. Meanwhile, the
title and metadata appear on any search engine by keywords, authors' names,
University, etc. and a single click sends a requests to the author. There are a
few minutes to a few hours before the last author version is being sent, it
depends on the author's availability and response time. Usually less that 24
hours unless the author is on a weeklong trek in Nepal.

I don't want to look overly proud of my accomplishments and those of my ORBi
team, but if I search for Peter Murray-Rust's publications in Cambridge's IR, I
can neither search by author nor by publisher, nor can I tell what is OA from
what is not. It would be nice of him to get things working a little bit at home
before pointing at what he considers our shortcomings. May I ask him how many
papers he published with ACS, how many of these are OA and how can I access
them? Same for the entire University of Cambridge?

To answer the question asked earlier today, anybody can find easily that ORBi
hosts 398 papers published by ACS, 375 are with full text (ORBi is programmed
to refuse postings if they are not accompanied by full text, except for
publications older than 2002) and 59 of those 375 are with full text and fully
accessible. The 316 remaining ones will be directly accessible when ACS' very
long embargo period will be over.

Compliance is not zero. It is very high, at first because of the soft but firm
coercitive top down pressure, nowadays because our authors have fully realised
the very much larger readership it provides them with and the citation
advantage they benefit from. My most reluctant colleagues have now become
ORBi's best advocates.

I consider this a success. OA's worst enemy out there is OA integrism.

Bernard Rentier
Recteur, University of Liege, Belgium