Publisher Wheeling and Dealing: Open Access Via National and Global McNopoly?

Excerpted from more extensive comments on the Poynder/Velterop Interview here
and here.

Jan Velterop: “a shift to an author-side payment for the service of arranging
peer review and publication is a logical one”

The service of arranging peer review I understand.

But what’s the rest? What’s “Arranging publication”? Once a paper has been
peer-reviewed, revised and accepted, what’s left for publishers to do (for a
fee) that authors can’t do for free (by depositing the peer-reviewed, revised,
accepted paper in their institutional repository)?

And how to get there, from here -- and at a fair price for just peer review
alone? Publishers won’t unbundle, downsize and renounce revenue until there’s
no more market for the extras and their costs – and Green OA is what will put
paid to that market. Pre-emptive Gold payment, while subscriptions are still
being paid, will not – and especially not hybrid Gold.

JV: “‘Hybrid OA’ doesn’t exist. It is just “gold” OA. OA in a hybrid journal is
the same as OA in a fully OA journal for any given article.”

Gold OA is indeed Gold OA whether the journal is hybrid or pure (and whether
the Gold is Gratis or CC-BY)

But “hybrid” does not refer to a kind of OA, it refers to a kind of journal:
the kind that charges both subscriptions and (optionally) Gold OA fees.

That kind of journal certainly exists; and they certainly can and do
double-dip. And that’s certainly an expensive way to get (Gratis) Gold OA.

And the Finch/RCUK policy will certainly encourage many if not all journals to
go hybrid Gold, and publishers, to maximize their chances of making an extra 6%
revenue from the UK, will in turn jack up their Green embargoes past RCUK’s
permissible limits.

JV: “The “double-dipping” argument is a red herring. There's… a notion that
subscription prices should be proportional to the number of articles in a
journal. How would that work? There are journals with 100 subscribers… and…
with thousands of subscribers [and] & 25 articles a year & 25 or more articles
a week.”

Double-dipping is not about the number articles or subscribers a journal has,
but about charging subscriptions and, in addition, charging, per article, for
Gold OA. That has nothing to do with number of articles, journals or
subscribers: It’s simply double-charging.

JV: “The cost, and… revenue, of an individual article can only usefully… be
expressed as an average, and then probably company-wide. What would otherwise
be the situation for a loss-making hybrid journal that receives in one year 10%
of its articles as gold, and the next year only 2%? Impossible to work out. A
subscription system is inherently lacking in transparency”

Nothing of the sort, and extremely simple, for a publisher who really does not
want to double-dip, but to give all excess back as a rebate:

Count the total number of articles, N, and the total subscription revenue, S.

From that you get the revenue per article: S/N.

Hybrid Gold OA income is than added to that total revenue (say, at a fee of S/N
per article).

That means that for k Gold OA articles, total hybrid journal revenue is S +
kS/N.

And if the journal really wants to reduce subscriptions proportionately, at the
end of the year, it simply sends a rebate to each subscribing institution:

Suppose there are U subscribing institutions. Each one gets a year-end rebate
of kS/UN (regardless of the yearly value of k, S, U or N).

(Alternatively, if the journal wants to give back all of the rebate only to the
institutions that actually paid for the extra Gold, don’t charge subscribing
institutions for Gold OA at all: But that approach shows most clearly why and
how this pre-emptive morphing scheme for a transition from subscriptions to
hybrid Gold to pure Gold is unscaleable and unsustainable, hence incoherent. It
is an Escher impossible figure, either way, because collective
subscriptions/“memberships” – including McNopolies -- only make sense for
co-bundled incoming content; for individual pieces of outgoing content the
peer-review service costs must be paid by the individual piece. There are at
least 20,000 research-active institutions on the planet and at least 25,000
peer-reviewed journals, publishing several million individual articles per
year. No basis – or need --for a pre-emptive cartel/consortium McNopoly.)

JV: “If journals should reduce their subscription price when they get a
percentage of papers paid for as gold, what should happen if they lose the same
percentage (for completely different reasons) of subscriptions?”

Less Gold – the value of the year-end institutional rebate -- kS/UN – is less
that year.

JV: “What if a journal which decided to go hybrid has published a steady amount
of 50 articles a year for ages and all of a sudden attracts an extra 10 gold OA
articles? By how much should it reduce its subscription price?”

By exactly10S/50U per subscribing institution U.

JV: “If an article is worth £2,000 to have published with OA in a full-OA
journal, why is it not worth the same £2,000 if published in a hybrid journal?”

Simple answer: it’s not worth the price either way. Both prices are grotesquely
inflated. No-fault peer review should cost about $100-200 per round…

Stevan Harnad