Indeed a very good article with ground reality besides an eye opener.  It all
depends on our Educational System to mould these young minds for better
tormorrow

My hats off to Selma
Wilson

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 02:01:18
+0000Subject: [GOAN-NRI] [Goanet] An Open letter to Goan Parents.

[Goanet] An Open letter to Goan Parents.Thanks Selma,I read it twice...about
the parentsThought provokingSome more of it please!QuoteYet again I see Goa's
parochial views come to the fore, as if to prove to the world that we live in
the back of beyond. Everytime the victim or alleged victim is a young women,
Goans seem bent on questioning the parenting skills of these unfortunate
girls.Goans, please don't wear your hypocrisy on your sleeves. Please, first
tell us where are the fathers and mothers of all those girls that board at
Carmels and other hostels? Are they not young girls too, who are left alone to
do as they please, because their Goan parents work in the Gulf? Please tell us
also where are fathers of all those boys who roam the streets on their bikes,
flashing money and spending like there is no tomorrow? Perhaps their fathers
are onboard ships, bearing the brunt of callous customers. Perhaps their
fathers are enduring the heat of the Arabian sun. In anycase, a whole
generation of young men and women have grown up now, without fathers, without
mothers, in the custody of aging grand-parents, sometimes worse still left in
the care of Carmelite nuns.We too have been guilty of leaving our children
alone, but we've had to do it, to fill our bellies. perhaps these "foreigners"
have their own reasons as to why they are single-handedly bringing up children.
Should we sit in judgement of them?As a Goan girl who finished her college in
Goa, let me tell you, your sons and daughters are no better than those of these
"foreigners". Your sons and daughters are doing exactly what these Western
girls and boys are doing. Except you don't know it. And if you do know it, you
prefer to blind yourself to the truth, always assuming that your own Shanna boy
or Baby-girl would never do such a thing. The truth is, adolescent hormones are
not so discriminatory. They run wild in everyone.As a Goan mother of a small
Goan girl, I am no more capable of protecting her from the pedophiles or the
rapists of this world, than I am of stopping the tide. I cannot hide her from
the world, I cannot incarcerate her in an ivory tower to keep her safe. She has
her own life to live, she has her own path and destiny to find, her own
exploration and experimentation to engage in. I can only wish for her safety. I
can only hope that the mothers of sons have done their job, in raising
responsible men.So please stop blaming "outsiders", they are parents just like
you and me, trying to do their best in this confusing world in which they have
little control.Best,[EMAIL PROTECTED] for Goa & NRI related info...