Dear Sir,

I will be grateful if you please publish the enclosed in your issue and oblige.

With many thanks and kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

Dr. (Fr.) Walter de Sá
PRINCIPAL
St. Xavier's College of Arts, Science & Commerce,
Xaviernagar, Mapusa - Goa - 403507 - INDIA.

Closing ceremony of the International Year of Chemistry (IYC) celebrations at St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa – Goa.

The Chief Guest Mr. Arun Naik, President, Goa Pharmaceutical Manufacturers. Seen alongside are the Principal, Dr. (Fr.) Walter de Sa, faculty members and students of the Department of Chemistry.

After a series of events organised as part of the International Year of Chemistry, St. Xavier’s College organised a one-day seminar, ‘Chemistry, our Life our Future’, for faculty members and students of colleges in Goa on the 6th of December, 2011, to mark the conclusion of the celebrations of the IYC.

The Inaugural program began with Ms. Edwina Pereira, the Co-ordinator, welcoming and briefing the audience on the purpose of the program, while simultaneously throwing light on the fact that Chemistry is an essential and indispensible part of our existence. She further added that when we blend chemical resources and our scientific knowledge with love and compassion, we would utilize them in the most responsible manner, thus help in building a better world. After the invocation, the Head of Department, Dr. Tushar Anvekar escorted the dignitaries on to the dais. The Principal Dr. (Fr.) Walter de Sa then addressed the gathering saying ‘Education should change our attitude, our outlook’, The Principal thanked all teachers for recognising and striving in their endeavour. Dr. Tushar Anvekar introduced the Chief Guest for the function Mr. Arun Naik, President, Goa Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association. Mr. Naik was presented a potted plant after which all the dignitaries partook in the traditional lighting of the lamp. The Inaugural program ended with Dr. Tushar Anvekar proposing the Vote of Thanks.

The first session, ‘Green Chemistry in Pharmaceuticals’ was presented by the Chief Guest Mr. Arun Naik. The pharmaceutical industry presently in Goa, he educated is a relatively clean industry as it comprises entirely of the formulation units. Mr. Naik concluded by informing the audience on the future trends to be incorporated and followed by the Pharma industry in striving to attain its goal of going entirely green.

The second session had Mr. Suhas Suresh Shetye, Research Scientist ‘B, at the National Centre for Antarctica and Ocean Research (NCAOR), Vasco-da-Gama as the resource person. Mr. Shetye spoke on the topic ‘Ocean Acidification’. He questioned rhetorically as to why we need to study the ocean. 'The oceans are responsible for our climate’, he stated. He then led the audience on a cruise through the Arctic and the Antarctic, sharing his experience during the expeditions. The session ended with Mr. Shetye stressing on the major environmental concerns.

In the last session, Dr. Mohan Girap, Project Scientist, Goa State Council of Science and Technology (GSCST) spoke on ‘Current Environment scenario in the state of Goa’, Dr. Girap enlightened the audience on the several myths surrounding the concept of climate change. He went on to say ‘Climate changes need not necessarily mean disaster and that plastic need not be banned, rather it should be managed’. The audience were thereafter transported into the world of harsh realities of today through a four and half minute documentary “A Hope”, which was a loud cry for help from mankind to save Mother Earth. Dr. Girap urged the participants to be responsible citizens and contribute towards curbing the major problems plaguing Goa today.

The co-ordinator of the IYC-St. Xavier’s College, Ms. Kathleen Pinto delivered a report of the various activities conducted as part of the IYC celebrations, following which the distribution of certificates to the participants was held at the hands of the Principal Dr. (Fr.) Walter de Sa.

Ms. Pinto then proposed the Vote of Thanks.