> Keep your go source at the root of the repo and tag that

Or would it be OK just to put go.mod at the root of the repo, containing
module github.com/flatgeobuf/flatgeobuf
- and leave the rest of the source where it is?

I believe that will still allow someone to import or get
github.com/flatgeobuf/flatgeobuf/src/go
(not that that's a pretty import path). But I don't know if it will behave
any differently to what the OP sees today.