I found the solution to the "toolchain not available" problem: put "go
1.22.0" instead of "go 1.22" in go.mod. Clues picked up from #62278
<https://github.com/golang/go/issues/62278>.

It's confusing for people who've been using go for a while though, when
go.mod used to contain "go X.Y" and it was invalid to put "go X.Y.Z". Now
that appears to have swapped around
<https://github.com/golang/go/issues/62278#issuecomment-1698829945>.