On Wednesday 20 March 2024 at 09:01:43 UTC Mike Schinkel wrote:

Your comments made me go back and read the whole thing, but I was unable to
find a list of enumerated objectives, and I did not find the text you
quoted.  Did I miss it somehow?

It's in the very first post that opened this thread, under the heading "##
Summary". This link should take you to it:
https://groups.google.com/g/golang-nuts/c/pN0AO7a_S2k/m/3osyz_NyBgAJ

Quoting directly:

# Proposal: Nillable types

## Summary

I propose that for any type T, the type `T | nil` should also be a valid
type with the following properties:
1. The zero value of a `T | nil` is `nil`.
2. Any `T` or `nil` may be used as a value of `T | nil`
3. It is a compile-time error to use a `T | nil` as a `T` without first
checking that it is non-nil.