Hi Bruce,
  One option might be the Channel API, depending on what your client
is written in.  I assume you're not sending that many results to a
browser though, so it might not work for you.
    http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/channel/

  Another option would be for your client to submit the request, then
you could kick off a background job (using tasks) to write the result
set to the blobstore, and once complete the client could download the
blob and process it.  You're client would need to periodically check
with the server to know when the query is complete.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/blobstore/overview.html#Writing_Files_to_the_Blobstore

  And, the most basic solution to implement from the server side would
be to use cursors. If you can adjust the client to download chunks at
a time, this would probably be the easiest.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/datastore/queries.html#Query_Cursors

Robert