I have Java GAE app with modules. Default front-end module is marked as

<automatic-scaling>
  <min-idle-instances>1</min-idle-instances></automatic-scaling>

however when I check chart of instances for last 24 hours, I see that there
is a period where no instance was running. I would expect that
min-idle-instances sets a minimal number of running instances.

Is min-idle-instances not working ? Or is instance chart not working ? (By
instance chart I mean chart accessible from Dashboad). Or do I get the
concept of min-idle-instances wrong ?

Current GAE version is 1.9.11