There are 2 different types of (push) tasks that Cloud Tasks can handle,
and it depends on *where* the tasks are handled. These are called
"targets," and you can have App Engine targets, meaning the tasks run on
and are handled by App Engine, or generic HTTP targets, meaning the tasks
are hosted and are handled elsewhere, say a VM, Cloud Functions, etc. You
can read more about both types in this official docs page
<https://cloud.google.com/tasks/docs/dual-overview>.

Focusing more specifically on your question, if your target tasks are
hosted on App Engine, then you project/app should *not* be disabled, but if
it is a standard HTTP target, you don't need an App Engine app for *that*
case. Hope this helps!

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:32 PM Micah Thomas <micahthom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> I didn't get that impression from anywhere else, and it was confusing that
> cloud tasks have it's own page in google cloud if it depends on appengine.
> Anyway, I'll probably look into another system, and just keep the
> appengine app running till I migrate our queues over to something else.
>
> On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 7:24:52 AM UTC-7 jstsetinin wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Thak you for your question.
>>
>> According to our documentation "You must have an enabled App Engine
>> application in your project to run your queue." [1]
>> It is not possible to make it work without Appengine.
>>
>> [1] https://cloud.google.com/tasks/docs/quickstart-appengine
>> On Friday, 20 November 2020 at 01:43:25 UTC+1 micaht...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am having trouble with Cloud Tasks (HTTP Request Tasks) breaking when
>>> I disable my app-engine application. For the time being I've re-enabled the
>>> app-engine application to get the cloud tasks queue to keep working. I
>>> thought Cloud Tasks was a separate project, and does not depend on
>>> appengine.
>>>
>>> Not sure who I should be talking to, if this is not the right
>>> group/place.
>>>
>> --
> email to google-appengine+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/f09a677a-7f5e-424f-bcfb-5ddd5b7ead78n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/f09a677a-7f5e-424f-bcfb-5ddd5b7ead78n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun :: @wescpy <http://twitter.com/wescpy> :: Software
Architect & Engineer
    Developer Advocate at Google Cloud by day; at night...
    Python training & consulting : http://CyberwebConsulting.com
    "Core Python" books : http://CorePython.com
    Python blog: http://wescpy.blogspot.com