Greetings long-time App Engine developers,

If you're running on Python 2, Java 6-8, Go 1.6-1.11, and PHP 5, we'd like
to encourage you to consider upgrading to Python 3, Java 11, Go 1.12+, and
PHP 7. The issue facing many of you is that moving to the next-gen App
Engine platform involves two significant changes, so we understand why
there has been some hesitancy:

   1. Upgrading to a newer language version
   2. Moving from bundled to unbundled/best-of-breed services

While Google can't help with the former, we *can* do something about the
latter. Last month, my colleague announced
<https://groups.google.com/g/google-appengine/c/6Ws9IXl_QmM/m/3ZvsIozbAAAJ> a
community-driven repo of migration samples
<https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/appengine-python2-3-migration>. A
few weeks ago, I introduced a series of codelab tutorials
<https://twitter.com/wescpy/status/1378050414449319937?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=unpaidsoc&utm_campaign=CDR_wes_aap-serverless_modernizegae_codelabsannounce_201031&utm_content=->
to give users hands-on experience migrating unbundled services, starting
with Python as those developers have even greater challenges due to Python
3 not being backwards-compatible to Python 2. There is also content for
those interested in containerizing their App Engine apps (for Cloud Run).

These are just a few steps we're taking to help existing users modernize
their apps. Stay tuned for additional resources coming soon from the App
Engine team.

Best regards,
--Wesley
"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun :: @wescpy <http://twitter.com/wescpy> :: Software
Architect & Engineer
    Developer Advocate at Google Cloud by day; at night...
    Python training & consulting : http://CyberwebConsulting.com
    "Core Python" books : http://CorePython.com
    Python blog: http://wescpy.blogspot.com