Hi Paul,

I've carbon copied this response to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' which is a
discussion list for those interested in mail-archive.com. (Just in
case others are interested in these sorts of issues.)

>[Are there] any plans to give, further control to mailing list admins
>who want it?

You're right, I fear a nightmare of support issues. There are no plans
for giving further control to list admins.  Time is a really scarce
resource these days, and I can't justify moving away from a fullly
automated service.

>I've got 150MB of Mhonarc material over a period of two years which
>gets at least 100 hits at least a day for initial searches and
>thousands of individual archive accesses.

Should be no problem. If you choose to import all this mail, I
*strongly* recommend doing just a few at first to make sure everything
is working correctly. By the way, I'm going to add another 25GB of
disk capacity sometime next week.

>I see from the "bug" database there is discussion of enhancements
>such as monthly indexing, etc. and I'd be desperate to keep this
>feature if possible, and allow searching within specific months only,

Hmmm... here's the best way, since you sound like you have ample
programming experience. Get a copy of mail-archive.com's code, look it
over, and decide if you want to attempt to add the features that you
are interested in. I'd be happy to discuss patches until we get a very
solid implementation. Let me know if this is something you're
interested in.

I think you can get searching by month by specifying a customized
MHonArc rcfile for your list. Perhaps you can produce a form which
supplies some additional data to the htdig search engine. Or maybe
it's not quite that easy -- again, you are welcome to look into
it. The infrastructure for an optional, list specific rcfile is
already in place (and used at http://mail-archive.com/archive@jab.org)

As far as separation of archives by month, here's what's held me up.
Again, patches are welcome, but it's a slightly challenging issue.  I
understand many lists are interested in this feature (although I don't
really understand why, since I'd never use it myself).

1) Internal management of files and directories -- what to do?
2) Do we need to automatically detect very low traffic lists? How?
3) What type of HTML layout would work well?
4) Can this be accomplished without adding much complexity?
5) How to rebuild the archive from raw mail at any time?
6) Finding time for implementation

>Finally, do you know of any other way I might be able to get better
>control of the Archiving/Indexing process and presentation if it's
>not possible with you?

The best way to have complete control is to run things yourself. You
might want to try scrounging around even harder for someone with a
server who is willing to let you have free reign. (Sorry, I don't have
any specific recommendations.)

Jeff