From: "Jeff Breidenbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Art McGee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, 19 February, 2003 10:25 PM
Subject: [Gossip] RE: do people use the confirmation archive?

Hi all,

I got a random email from Art McGee, suggesting that I
remove access to the archive@mail-archive.com archive -
this is where "subscribe confirmation" messages go from
list servers such as Mailman.

The theory is, we'd potentially eliminate an abuse path.
(i.e. someone accidentally or maliciously subscribes a
private list to the service) For lists with subscribe
confirmation notices, it just wouldn't work. Only a list
admin capable of bypassing the confirmation feature would be
able to use mail-archive in that case.

The question is, in practice, would such a change affect
legitimate users? There aren't very many abuse cases as far
as I'm aware, so I want to see what the impact would be
on regular service users. How many of you would such a change
have caused difficulty for?  I see plenty of confirmation
messages, so I'm a little worried about the impact.

Consider this a survey.

-Jeff

As a reminder, we are talking about this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#newlist