Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

>  Presumably, all of the mail for any
> particular list originates from the same mail server (or relatively
> small collection of servers).  And these are "real" mail servers, not
> random machines with no maintainer.  You can use this property to
> advantage here, I think.

Unsafe assumption. EG I run  my list off a proxy mailserver connected by
ADSL. I have had problems with recipients' POP servers doing reverse DNS
lookups on the list sender domain name and rejecting mail because the
domain IP address doesn't match the IP the mail has come from. This is
purely because  one ISP hosts the domain and my POP mail, and another
provides the ADSL.

I've also been blacklisted by ORBL type services on 2 occasions, have never
 managed to find out why, nor was I able to get unlisted. Like a lot of
list mom's, I'm no tech, and know just enough to run a (bona-fide,
opt-in, spam-free) hobbyist list. I used to run off a commercial Majordomo,
but it cost far  too much.

Surely all that's required is a web-form sign-up before mail-archive will
accept and archive mails from a new list? Spammers can't deliberately
archive this crap, it's just that the mail-archive email address features
on spam address CD's?

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk