Thanks for the many excellent comments; I personally learned quite a
bit. I do think we are close to wrapping up this thread in the
interest of keeping gossip fairly low traffic and focused. Gossip has
about 150 subscribers and I suspect most of them are pretty busy
people.

Due to the changes over the last few days (particularly the increased
use of blocklists) contact me if you experience a sudden problem in an
archive. If you cannot contact me due to mail being blocked, please
relay the message through someone who has been participating in this
discussion.

Let me address the filmscanners situation. The filmscanners list has
relatively weird headers for a list due to using some non-traditional
list software. The headers somewhat look like direct private mail,
which incidentally is what most of the incoming spam looks like. These
headers are marginal for the sorting engine. Mail-Archive will do the
right thing, if it knows there is already a filmscanners archive and
is keeping an eye out for more messages. Otherwise it doesn't
work. Back in May/April there was a big restore from backup, and
during that process, some state information was reset and Mail-Archive
forgot that filmscanners existed. Now that I've manually reminded the
sort engine, filmscanners traffic should sort correctly. But the
engine will forget again if there is no traffic on the list for 21
days. The best solution is for filmscanners to use more traditional
headers, and in particular it would be nice to see the filmscanners
listname somewhere in to To: or CC: fields. That's the common case,
and the sort engine handles it most efficiently.

Finally, despite the plea for winding down, I can't resist sharing a
few more motivations. I dislike being treated like a potential
criminal, whether it is being searched at the airport, having to carry
a bunch of little cards all the time that essentially say I am me, or
living under the thumb of an anti-copying mechanism for some
proprietary software. I hate treating other people like potential
criminals. And I hate all the stupid side effects, from the annoyance
of losing my car keys to the missed opportunities when someone is
prevented from providing a useful internet service because they are
too boxed in. Mail-Archive is kind of Established these days, but for
the first year of existence it ran off a cable modem in an apartment
complex in New Jersey. I am trying to say that I have to be sensitive
to world realities for the project to survive. I am also sensitive to
personal ideals, goals, interests - life is way too short, and I'd
prefer to spend it on stuff that counts. Fortunately, the Mail-Archive
project is blessed with far more flexibility than most, and also an
excellent community of people to help advise on the tough tradeoffs.
For that I am grateful.

Cheers,
Jeff