http://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#support

>I wanted to look for replies and other messages around that time

The best place is to look at the "thread slice" at the bottom of
each message page. This particular message was a singleton, i.e.
there were no replies or antecedents. So the thread slice is pretty
empty. Contrast that with this message

The second best place to look is via the list-specific search engine.

>so I clicked on the "Chronological" link which took me to
> [somewhere bad]

Yes, there are a couple issues here. First, we only bother storing the
index pages for the 1000 most recent messages. MHonArc works a lot
faster when indexes are kept short, and processing speed is of essence
give the traffic The Mail Archive receives. The page you cite
(mail5.html) happens to be right on the edge of where messages are
dropping off the index. Hence the lack of a link to earlier messages.

Second, there another issue regarding accuracy of links back to the
it, but I wanted to mention it since it is kind of related.

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=4719&group_id=1968

Bottom line is there are problems when going from a message to an
index, particularly if the message is old and on a high traffic list.
This is a known issue, which strongly affects some people and doesn't
bother others at all; it depends on the user's preferred workflow. (The usual
MHonArc workaround is to break indexes up by month, but we'd prefer to
avoid doing that for various reasons.)

The issue may get revisted in the future but is currently not on The
Mail Archive's priority list.

>http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/mail6.html

This is just detris from a previous configuration of The Mail Archive,
back when we kept more than 1000 messages in the index pages. Ignore
it. :)

Cheers,
Jeff

PS. Now that you've read that really long winded explanation, the thing
    you actually want is here:

    http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/history.html