But anyway, utf-8 support for Xapian is pretty much written now.  I've
just sent JeffB a patch to try (but it'll require a reindex so it'll
probably not be live for a while).

Major, major kudos to Olly for getting this feature ready. I've
patched it in and it seems to work great! Let's revist queries in
Danish and Japanese.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/omega/omega?P=%E6%A1%90%E5%B1%B1&DB=announce-jp%40jp.freebsd.org

http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/omega/omega?P=%C3%B8l+eftersmag&DB=brygforum%40lists.haandbryg.dk

I've just asked the computer to start re-indexing all the lists with this
new improved version of Xapian. That process  will take about 5 full
days, and will proceed in alphabetical order. As of this second, it is
crunching away on a list called "activedir"

> In the meantime, I'd love to hear some pointed comments
> on the user interface. Do people prefer Omega's "search engine
> standard" layout, or PyLucene's "blend into service" appearance?

FWIW, I think I prefer the "blend in" look.  But the look is essentially
orthogonal to the choice of engine - it's just a matter of slotting the
appropriate HTML into the templates.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume everyone is in complete
agreement that "blend in" is significantly better. Any dissenters?