Around 9:20pm PST, I rebooted the primary webserver. Pretty
minor reason - just adding a boot parameter to work around
linux kernel bug #7068. Unfortunately, things didn't go as
planned and I ended driving out to the data center and spending
about an hour of quality time there. Add in driving time, and
the service was down for about an hour and half tonight.

By down I mean the website was inaccessible. As usual, all
inbound mail was queued during the downtime and things
are going just swimmingly now. There is a decent sized backlog,
but that's mainly due all the CPU and disk we've diverted
to search experiments recently. So archiving will be a little slow
over the next day or so, but probably not ridiculously so.

Anyway, that's the scoop. This particular problem won't happen
again. That just means next time it will be a different one, but it
really has been a while. I'd almost forgotten what the inside of
the datacenter looks like. :) Anyway, my apologies.

Cheers,
Jeff

PS. Would you believe there was a traffic jam
at this time of night? Due to road construction, but still...