We made it through another year, so it's time for an update on how The
Mail Archive is doing. I'm quite distracted by many life changes, not
the least of which is trying to housebreak a brand new puppy (what?!
again?) Hopefully I won't leave too many important things out about
the project.

First of all, we experienced a 50% growth rate. That's right, we're
now officially a triumvirate. Big welcome to Tom, to whom I entirely
credit Jeff's and my continued sanity. Message count also made a
pretty big leap, we started the year with a little over a 50 million
messages and finished with over 70 million. I have high hopes that
2010 will break the 100 million barrier. The hardware has been holding
up beautifully and this is one of the few years we haven't even been
tempted to upgrade. Once terabyte+ SSDs come out, I'm sure that
temptation will come right back.

And the fun level remains high. Besides the satisfaction of making
hundreds of thousands of people's lives ever so slightly better every
day, it was great to talk with peers on the conference. Didn't hurt to
have beautiful Canada as a venue. Financially the service remains
healthy and we continue to donate a portion of proceeds to good but
occasionally eccentric causes. Got to love this German article, "I am
sorry that we all bumbled about computers far too much. We want to
support people who committed themselves to a higher goal."

http://www.ftd.de/lifestyle/outofoffice/:out-of-office-unendliche-waisen/50017386.html

Of course, not everything in 2009 was puppy dogs and kibble. There
were two power failures at the (supposedly) battery backed
professional datacenter, one of which required a lot of time to
recover from. Filesystems really don't like to be interrupted with
tons of data in flight and we ended up cracking open one of the
backups, and replaying a mail spool. And we struggled in our attempts
to reliably overlay a solid state drive (for writes) on top of the
traditional rotating magnetic disks containing the majority of the
corpus. I do want to commend Junjiro Okajima, a Linux kernel hacker,
for his excellent assistance; for a while The Mail Archive was running
customized kernel code which is clearly a milestone of some
sort. Anyway, while the last month or so has been perfect, November
was bad enough that uptime fell slightly short of the Ivory Soap
standard. (99.44%). This regression is hopefully addressed with an
in-rack UPS and going back to a simpler setup.

Overall, thank you all for sticking with the service and we wish you a
happy, healthy, and enjoyable new year. As always, questions and
comments welcome.