*http://theverdictindia.com/focus.asp*
**
*FOCUS*

*Dr Shihab Ghanem: A bridge between India and UAE*
*By ARIF ZAIN
DUBAI*

DR SHIHAB GANEM'S love for India is not only a result of his stay in Roorkee
where he did his master's degree in Water Resources Engineering but it has
been there right from his childhood. His grand father Mohammad Ali Lokman is
the first law graduate in Aden, Yemen. Lokman was a close friend of Mahatma
Gandhi under whose instruction he launched the first independent daily in
southern part of the peninsula. His mother used to recount her visit to
Mahatma with her father in her childhood. He has travelled extensively
throughout India as part of his course at Roorkee and had paid many visits
to Nehru's temples of modern India.

"I am very happy and proud of being a bridge between two nations if somebody
gives me such an honour" said Dr. Shihab Ghanem when he was told that he was
regarded as the cultural ambassador of India to the Arab world by the UAE's
vast Indian expatriate circle.
Sitting in his spacious typical Arab style majlis, a fine amalgam of
tradition and modernity, the soft spoken poet with a decent demeanor spoke
at length about his profession, passion, mission and the rich legacy he
inherited from his forefathers.

He is an engineer, a manager, an economist, a poet and a translator of
poetry from Arabic to English and vice versa, he hailed from Aden and
adopted UAE as his home long ago. Here is his profile in a compact nutshell:
Born in Aden into a family of educationists and reformers, son of Mohammed
Abdo Ghanem who was a pioneer educationist of Aden. His grandfather Abdo
Ghenem was a reformer, his maternal grandfather Mohammed Ali Lokman was a
towering figure in modern Yemen's history and his great grandfather was the
leader of anti-colonial freedom movement in Yemen.

A versatile genius Dr Shihab Ghanem is acknowledged as UAE's leading poet
long ago and has carved out a niche for himself in country's cultural
domain. He has been instrumental for cultural give and take between the Arab
world and the vast world outside.

He did remarkably well on the academic front. Having completed his schooling
in Aden he left for UK and obtained a double degree in Mechanical
Engineering and Electrical Engineering from Aberdeen and then he went on to
garner a fistful degrees, a certificates in Industrial Administration and
Management of Men from Birmingham, UK, a post graduate diploma and a
Master's in Water Resources Development Engineering from Roorkee University,
India, and a Ph.D. in Economics in the fields of Industrialization and Human
Resources Development from Cardiff, UK. He is a UK Chartered Engineer, a
fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers of UK and a fellow of the
Institute of Management of UK and a member of various other technical and
literary bodies in the UAE and overseas. Upon the return from abroad he
inaugurated his career life as Deputy Permanent Secretary of Public Works
and Communications in Aden and retired from the service as the managing
director of Mohammed Bin Rashid Technology Park, Dubai.

Relishing his warm and inviting Arabian hospitality, I asked about his
recent collection of Malayalam poems titled Qasaed min Kerala (Poems from
Kerala) and about his contribution to Malayalam poetry by translating it
into Arabic (works of leading Malayalam poets are being translated into
Arabic on a regular basis by this prominent figure in contemporary Arabic
poetry)

"It was when I was honoured together with Kamala Surayah (then Kamala Das)
and Yousuf Ali Kecheri, ten years ago. Kamala gave her book of selected
poems. A little later Sachidanandan sent me one of his collections. I was
highly impressed by these two poets and translated some of their poems,"
describes a jubilant Dr Shihab Ghanem answering to a query about his
encounter with Malayalam poetry.

An array of poets from Edasseri Govindan Nair to relatively novice Kuzhoor
Wilson has spread across the collection. Poems are selected carefully; the
chronological selection was by none other than the translator's close friend
Prof K Sachidanandan. Poems of the leading Malayalam poets like Balamani
Amma, C.A. Joseph, Vailoppilli, Changampuzha, Chemmanam, Ayyappa Panickar,
ONV, Attoor, Kamala Suraya, Sugatha Kumari, Yousuf Ali, Kadamanitta, Vishnu
Narayanan Namboothiri, Sachidanandan and Chullikkad have enriched the
collection. Besides these veterans a host of expatriate poets living in
Dubai have also found space in it.

Dr Ghanem carefully divides his time between his profession and passion. He
was a member of the advisory committee of the literary magazine AlShuoon
Aladabiyah. He has published a large number of technical and literary papers
and articles in English as well as in Arabic. He has published nearly 30
books including 8 books of verse in Arabic and one in English and several
volumes of translated verse, from Arabic to English and from English,
Malayalam and other languages to Arabic via English. He contributes
regularly to literary magazines and newspapers in the UAE, Saudi Arabia,
Kuwait, Yemen, Egypt and other countries.

How an engineer by profession could fall in love with poetry with such
intensity that he gained mastery over the art of verse-writing, I wondered.
"Well, I have been interested in poetry and literature since childhood. I
read and wrote poetry during my undergraduate days, so my poetry developed
in parallel with my technical development: like a bird with two wings. A
computer test showed that I use the two sides of my brain equally, exactly
50% each" he said as his five year old grand daughter Hanouf dropped in.
"She is very intelligent, surely she will become a poetess" he said proudly
with full trust in the seventh generation of a unique clan which has
contributed much to enrich the letters in the Arab world.

His contribution to translation spreads over four decades. Poets from
Shakespeare to Andrew Motion have been translated into Arabic by this
experienced hand.
Asked, as his eyes were glued to the TV screen while Abu Dhabi TV's reality
show "Amir Alshu'ara" to select the Prince of Poets was on air, who among
the Arab poets influenced him much he said "I am attracted to poems and
poetry rather than to poets because most good poets have both good and
weaker poems. Also I may like a poet for his poetry but not approve of his
personal character or some of his failings. I like major poets of
aljahiliyah as I like this boy (promising Palestinian poet Tamim Al
Barghouthi was reciting his poem) his future is bright, he will become
another Mahmoud Darwish in less than twenty years" he predicts. Yes, give
honour to whom honour is due.

*ITEM: II
A Poem by Dr. Shihab Ghanem

BAKHBOOKH*
*By : Dr. Shihab M. Ghanem
(To my granddaughter Hanouf)
I centred the coin on my left palm
And blew on it
Then put on top my other palm
And said to her : "Say bakhbookh !"
She said: "Bah booh"
I opened my hands
Where is the coin? ..Where?..
It vanished in a wink..
She laughed .. and her astonishment gleamed in her eyes
She was - may God protect her - less than two years old.
Bakhbookh
And our blown coin vanished
She went to bring her big doll,
with the velvet dress..
She put it in my hands and said : "Bah booh"
I said maneuvering in a hoarse voice :
" This doll is too beautiful to be made disappear,
Oh soul of my soul !"
* Bakhbookh is a word used in some Arab countries in a make-believe game of
making things vanish, like abracadabra

കുഴൂര്‍ വിത്സണ്‍
www.vishakham.blogspot.com

www.kuzhoorwilson.blogspot.com