Hi team,

I have been trying to understand the grpc java compression decompression
logic, but am having hard time on how to have server to compress response
messages based on what client accepts. Here is my understanding so far -

1. On the client side - using the following link I am setting the
compression type to gzip. This is compressing all messages sent from client
to server
https://grpc.github.io/grpc-java/javadoc/io/grpc/stub/AbstractStub.html#withCompression-java.lang.String-
2. For messages back from server - I have figured out a way to add
interceptor in server builder to add compression with type gzip. This does
perform compressing, but this is introducing a constraint on server. If for
example I specify 'snappy' (custom codec) here in place of gzip in server
builder, (client has default compressor registry, so supports identity and
gzip only) my understanding is negotiation fails as 'snappy' is not
supported by client and falls back to identity. But in such cases I would
want server to do gzip compression rather than identity. Is this possible ?
By this server compresses messages based on what client accepts

Thanks in advance!

Thanks and regards,
Gokul