On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 02:24:21PM +0200, Mehdi Ahmadi wrote:
> When specifying:
> ```
> option httpchk
> ```
> As default or specific to a back-end - other properties are not passed or
> set as part of the health check request.
>
> For example:
> - http-send-name-header
> - forwardfor
> Are not preserved or included in the health-check request.
>
> At present it is possible to simply include required headers manually such
> as:
> ```
> backend TEST
>  option httpchk HEAD / HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: fqnd.tld.org
>  http-check expect status 200
> ```
> However in the case of different / differing ID by server that'd correspond
> to the expected Host value to be passed with each request - one would need
> to result to multiple backends with varying checks or have multiple checks
> per server in each back-end which may not be possible?
>
> IMO it would be beneficial to include all related headers and options with
> health checks by default with an added flag or property to disable this
> behavior reverting back to what is the current behavior.
>
> Is this a rational request & can it be anticipated in a future release?

This request is perfectly rational. In the past we wanted to reimplement
HTTP checks in a cleaner way to make them more configurable (hence the
"http-check" directive). But it seems that in practice the checks are
"good enough" for most use cases resulting in nobody being really
interested to dig into this complex plate of spaghetti. Also it's
important not to break existing setups and not to make things harder for
users in the future. At minima I'd like that we can pass :
  - extra headers using a fixed value (typically Host)
  - honnor the http-send-name-header option
  - send a small body where the content-length is automatically computed
    (eg: login+passwd, JSON or XML parameters)

But some people are also interested in sequences equivalent to tcp-checks
where we could for example send a login+passwd, retrieve a cookie and send
a new request with the cookie. This is quite rare but it helps get the whole
figure. I don't know if you're interested in investigating such changes.