Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried this and there was no change in behavior.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarno Huuskonen <jarno.huusko...@uef.fi>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 00:25
To: Wesley Lukehart <wlukeh...@innoflight.com>; haproxy@formilux.org
Subject: Re: Heath check responds up even when server is down

Hi,

On Thu, 2020-10-15 at 01:27 +0000, Wesley Lukehart wrote:
> Hello fine people. Short time lurker, first time poster.
>
> Was on version 2.0.5 with CentOS 7.6 and everything was working fine
> with Exchange 2019.
> Upgraded to 2.2.3 and now when we put Exchange into maintenance mode
> HAProxy does not change status – it reports that all services are
> still up (L7OK/200).
>
> Example backend:
> backend be_ex2019_oab
>   mode http
>   balance roundrobin
>   option httpchk GET /oab/healthcheck.htm
>   option log-health-checks
>   http-check expect status 200
>   server <servername> <IP_Address>:443 check ssl inter 15s verify
> required ca-file <Path_to_crt_file>
>   server <servername> <IP_Address>:443 check ssl inter 15s verify
> required ca-file <Path_to_crt_file>
>
> If I stop the app pool for a service in IIS, or stop all of IIS,
> HAProxy will properly show the service/services as down – as it gets a
> non 200 response (503 or 404).
>
> When putting the Exchange server into maintenance mode, there is no
> http response.
> When I check with a browser I get “ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR” or
> “Secure Connection Failed”. Basically no response.
> When I check with wget from the haproxy server I get “HTTP request
> sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection reset by peer) in headers.”
> Yet HAProxy is happy and continues to try to send mail to the down
> server – not good.
>
> Any Ideas?

Does the health check work if you try with something like this:
option httpchk
http-check connect ssl
http-check send meth GET uri /oab/healthcheck.htm ver HTTP/1.1 hdr Host
somehost.example.org http-check expect status 200 (
https://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/2.2/configuration.html#4.2-http-check%20connect
)

-Jarno

--