If you're a political junkie you're gonna love this week...We got Kerry announcing for
President and playing catch up with Dean...We got the big New Mexico Dem Debate hosted
by Gov. Bill Richardson...We got Gray Davis unveiling ads featuring Senator Dianne
Feinstein...We got the CA Recall debate tomorrow sans Arnold...And we've got Congress
back in session (as if you didn't have enough excitement in your life already)...

Chris is out in L.A. today and tomorrow to cover the Recall...Shuster's kickin' it out
in Sacramento as well...More than likely we'll do some CA Recall/Kerry announcement
combo in A...

In the B block we'll talk to Norah and Howard about the congressional agenda ahead,
the Dem debate on Thursday and Kerry's announcement...

And Later...Luntz is gonna do a live focus group of Burbank voters and he and Chris
will ask them what the think of The Recall, Arnold and the rest of the field...We'll
also throw in comedian Ben Stein to get his take...Last time he was on he was totally
slamming Arnold...

We're still hashing out the guest lineup so tune in for some surprises...Btw, how
about that Torres/Dreier Buzz last night?? Pretty hot huh?

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing

Making official what has long been apparent, Sen. John Kerry officially declared his
candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination on Tuesday, saying that President
Bush is "taking the United States and the world in the wrong direction." (MSNBC)
http://www.msnbc.com/news/959775.asp?0sl=-10

Set to make candidacy official, Kerry faces question of theme...Sen. John Kerry's
speech announcing the formal start of his Democratic presidential bid marks a pivotal
moment for the campaign, and he worked on the speech until the last minute, exposing
divisions within his team on the campaign's direction. (AP)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030902-121428-6968r.htm

Orin: He's doing it in South Carolina instead of his home state of Massachusetts in
what's widely seen as a move to create a fallback position in case he loses New
Hampshire. http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/4713.htm

Sen. John Kerry biographical data (AP)
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/09/02/sen_john_kerry_biographical_data/

For Kerry, Playing Catch-Up...Overtaken by Dean, Senator Seeks to Revive Campaign (The
Washington Post) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8597-2003Aug31.html

Only 139 days until the presidential primary season begins. Do you know how your
favorite candidate is doing? The 2004 campaign for the White House, believe it or not,
enters flat-out mode this fall. With nine Democrats piling on each other and President
Bush, it's going to be chaotic and confusing. But there are ways to sort things out.
(USA Today) http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20030902/5460365s.htm

Democrats blast Bush for job losses...Candidates target trade, labor policies at N.H.,
Iowa rallies (The Boston Globe)
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/09/02/democrats_blast_bush_for_job_losses/

President Bush, rested and ready after nearly a month at his ranch, returns to work at
the White House today with high support from Americans for the war in Iraq, a reviving
national economy and a burgeoning bank account for his 2004 re-election campaign (The
Washington Times) http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030902-121432-2094r.htm

Liberals find many ways to spread word...Left-wing activists, energized by what they
see as an incompetent and ultraconservative Bush administration, have taken their
fight to the Internet, the best-seller lists and pop culture, mirroring the rise of
conservative media and talk radio during the Clinton years. (The Washington Times)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20030902-121416-3799r.htm

A new liberal group with major backing from leftist billionaire George Soros has
declared its intention to raise $75 million to defeat President Bush and other
conservatives next year in an effort separate from the Democratic Party and the new
campaign-finance restrictions imposed on it. (Human Events)
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=1688

Bomb rocks Iraqi police HQ in Baghdad
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/870749.asp

Thousands march on Najaf...Hundreds of thousands of mourners streamed into the holy
city of Najaf on Tuesday for the funeral of Ayatollah Mohammad Baqir al-Hakim, a
moderate cleric killed in a car bombing last week.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/960209.asp

Countries balk at aiding Iraq...Few pledge money because of security fears, U.S.
control (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.com/news/960158.asp?0dm=N21FN

Election will shape fall in Congress...Parties seek wins on budget, health care,
energy and Iraq (The Washington Post) http://www.msnbc.com/news/960183.asp?0dm=N23FN

WashPost: Toll of U.S. wounded rises fast...U.S. battlefield casualties in Iraq are
increasing dramatically in the face of continued attacks by remnants of Saddam
Hussein's military and other forces, with almost 10 American troops a day now being
officially declared "wounded in action."
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/960067.asp

Both came to this tidy suburb to address the same holiday picnic crowd, but the uneasy
peace between Gov. Gray Davis and Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante was evident: The two
Democrats scrupulously avoided each other, and neither mentioned the other by name.
(AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030902/ap_on_el_gu/davis_recall_516

For years, Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies have created more buzz in Hollywood than
almost anybody else's, yet there has been a resounding silence as this industry town
considers whether one of its biggest box office stars can also produce a hit at next
month's ballot box office. (AP)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2003/09/02/state0609EDT0023.DTL

Gov. Gray Davis and Lt. Gov. Cruz Bustamante stumped at union rallies across the state
Monday, portraying Arnold Schwarzenegger as the political stepchild of Pete Wilson,
the former governor whose policies infuriated organized labor. (SF Chronicle)
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/09/02/MN266305.DTL

Arnold Schwarzenegger may be dead set on running for California state governor, but
fellow action hero Sylvester Stallone has a few words of wisdom for him. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030831/people_nm/arts_venice_stallone_dc_2

U.S. Rep. Bill Janklow will make his first appearance today in a Moody County
courtroom to answer charges filed against him in connection with the Aug. 16 death of
Randy E. Scott. (Argus Leader) http://www.argusleader.com/news/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Rep. Richard Gephardt will start airing television campaign ads today in two key
primary states, trying to boost his presidential bid as the Democratic contest gains
steam. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/News/Nation/F6551036A8ADC03486256D950007C887?OpenDocument&Headline=Gephardt+is+set+to+take+campaign+to+television+in+key+primary+states&highlight=2%2CGephardt

Opinion/Editorial

The Commandments and immorality...The row over the boulder-sized version of the
so-called "Ten Commandments," and as to whether they should be exhibited in such
massive shape on public property, misses the opportunity to consider these top-10
divine ordinances and their relationship to or
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/958228.asp

Wolfowitz: Support Our Troops...Iraq isn't part of the war on terror? Try telling the
soldiers that. http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html

John Fund's Political Diary...Why Hillary opposes Howard Dean.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110003955

Schlep to Judgment...If anything merited an independent inquiry, it was the attacks on
9/11. But not in Bush's Washington.
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2003/0309.montopoli.html

Pat: Death of Manufacturing...The rise of free trade has eroded America's industrial
base and with it our sovereignty. http://www.amconmag.com/08_11_03/cover.html

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>