On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 09:14:37PM +0300, Marius Cirsta wrote:
> > I think some people have tried increasing RAMADDR (and decreasing
> > RAMSIZE) so that haret loads the kernel after the framebuffer.  You
> > could try that, but I think it may also require changing the kernel to
> > know about the new address as well.
> >

>  Well I did that but and the error message about the overlapping isn't
> there anymore. What is still a problem is that the same random noise
> appears on the screen. I think it's the kernel's fault though. As the
> screen hangs for a bit longer now I managed to snap a picture and this
> is what it says:
>
> Haret boot
> Shutting down hardware
> Turning off MMU
> In preloader
> PSR=600000df
> Tags relocated
> Kernel relocated
> Initrd relocated
> Jumping to kernel ...

That indicates a haret success.  It's from the code at:

http://git.linuxtogo.org/?p=groups/haret/haret.git;a=blob;f=src/linboot.cpp;h=d44ea116e2b67d8a6ee089e9050e9f238416a38e;hb=HEAD#l245

> Noise comes un on the screen now.

Did you recompile your kernel with the new start of memory address?
If the kernel doesn't know the new memory range, I think it will just
relocate itself to the top of memory.

> Thanks for you help. From what I understand haret does its job and
> it's the kernel that's the problem now. I'm off to study about that
> and I guess I'll ask on the some arm mailing lists maybe. If you have
> some other tips though I'd appreciat them. I know a serial console
> would be nice but this GPS has only one USB ( device I think ) and SD
> card slot , that's all on the outside. I'll probably have to pop it
> open and see what's on the inside and maybe locate some serial
> connector there or maybe attaching something to the USB somehow.

I've used irda ports for debugging (but most new devices don't have
that either).

Otherwise, I think the arm list is probably the best place to ask.

-Kevin