Heidi, Stanley,

Here's another source of information ...

If you look at the SACO web site, in the "About SACO" segment of the home page there are links to documents that discuss "SACO program restructuring". I'm pasting an excerpt below which I believe captures the main differences between the old and new (post May 2004) program structures, namely, (1) that SACO is now an *institution*-based program, (2) that the submitting institution must (also) be a member of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC); and (3) that the institution must commit itself to supplying at least 10-12 proposals per year.

Structure of the SACO Program:
  1. The SACO Program will be open to the membership of the PCC, and any institution that participates in the PCC's component programs (BIBCO/CONSER/NACO) may submit subject proposals via the SACO Web form, provided they have met the SACO requirements. This structure will assure that the workflow of timely processing of subject heading proposals will benefit those members that have contributed to the cooperative cataloging process in other ways.
  2. An invitation will be issued to those institutions currently contributing only subject proposals to join the newly formed official program. The application process will consist of filling in an application/information form with an agreement/commitment to an annual numerical contribution goal of 10-12 proposals. This numerical goal would include a combination of new or changed LCSH heading and/or new or changed LC Classification numbers.
Excerpted from "PCC Steering Committee Response to the Final report of the TaskGroup on SACO Program Development"

  1.