http://musliminsuffer.wordpress.com/

bismi-lLahi-rRahmani-rRahiem
In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful

=== News Update ===

ATATURK CONFESSED TO BEING JEWISH

[]

http://www.ossulumoskee.nl/fotos/59/Ataturk.jpg

FROM FORWARD ARCHIVES 1994

There were two questions I wanted to ask, I said
over the phone to Batya Keinan, spokeswoman for
Israeli president Ezer Weizman, who was about to
leave the next day, Monday, Jan. 24, on the first
visit ever made to Turkey by a Jewish chief of
state. One was whether Mr. Weizman would be
taking part in an official ceremony commemorating Kemal Ataturk.

Ms. Kenan checked the president’s itinerary,
according to which he and his wife would lay a wreath on Ataturk’s tomb.

Excited and Distressed

I thanked her and hung up. A few minutes later it
occurred to me to call back and ask whether
President Weizman intended to make any reference
while in Turkey to Ataturk’s Jewish antecedents.
“I’m so glad you called again,” said Ms. Kenan,
who now sounded excited and a bit distressed.
“Exactly where did you get your information from?”

Why was she asking, I countered, if the president’s office had it too?

Because it did not, she confessed. She had only
assumed that it must because I had sounded so
matter-of-fact myself. “After you hung up,” she
said, “I mentioned what you told me and nobody
here knows anything about it. Could you please fax us what you know?”

I faxed her a short version of it. Here is a longer one.

Stories about the Jewishness of Ataturk, whose
statue stands in the main square of every town
and city in Turkey, already circulated in his
lifetime but were denied by him and his family
and never taken seriously by biographers. Of six
biographies of him that I consulted this week,
none even mentions such a speculation. The only
scholarly reference to it in print that I could
find was in the entry on Ataturk in the Israeli
Entsiklopedya ha-Ivrit, which begins:

“Mustafa Kemal Ataturk – (1881-1938), Turkish
general and statesman and founder of the modern Turkish state.

“Mustafa Kemal was born to the family of a minor
customs clerk in Salonika and lost his father
when he was young. There is no proof of the
belief, widespread among both Jews and Muslims in
Turkey, that his family came from the Doenme. As
a boy he rebelled against his mother’s desire to
give him a traditional religious education, and
at the age of 12 he was sent at his demand to study in a military academy.”

Secular Father

The Doenme were an underground sect of
Sabbetaians, Turkish Jews who took Muslim names
and outwardly behaved like Muslims but secretly
believed in Sabbetai Zevi, the 17th-century false
messiah, and conducted carefully guarded prayers
and rituals in his name. The encyclopedia’s
version of Ataturk’s education, however, is
somewhat at variance with his own. Here is his
account of it as quoted by his biographers:

“My father was a man of liberal views, rather
hostile to religion, and a partisan of Western
ideas. He would have preferred to see me go to a
lay school, which did not found its teaching on
the Koran but on modern science.

“In this battle of consciences, my father managed
to gain the victory after a small maneuver; he
pretended to give in to my mother’s wishes, and
arranged that I should enter the (Islamic) school
of Fatma Molla Kadin with the traditional ceremony. ...

“Six months later, more or less, my father
quietly withdrew me from the school and took me
to that of old Shemsi Effendi who directed a free
preparatory school according to European methods.
My mother made no objection, since her desires
had been complied with and her conventions
respected. It was the ceremony above all which had satisfied her.”

Who was Mustafa Kemal’s father, who behaved here
in typical Doenme fashion, outwardly observing
Muslim ceremonies while inwardly scoffing at
them? Ataturk’s mother Zubeyde came from the
mountains west of Salonika, close to the current
Albanian frontier; of the origins of his father,
Ali Riza, little is known. Different writers have
given them as Albanian, Anatolian and Salonikan,
and Lord Kinross’ compendious 1964 “Ataturk”
calls Ali Riza a “shadowy personality” and adds
cryptically regarding Ataturk’s reluctance to
disclose more about his family background: “To
the child of so mixed an environment it would
seldom occur, wherever his racial loyalties lay,
to inquire too exactly into his personal origins beyond that of his parentage.”

Learning Hebrew

Did Kinross suspect more than he was admitting? I
would never have asked had I not recently come
across a remarkable chapter while browsing in the
out-of-print Hebrew autobiography of Itamar
Ben-Avi, son of Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, the leading
promoter of the revival of spoken Hebrew in late
19th-century Palestine. Ben-Avi, the first child
to be raised in Hebrew since ancient times and
later a Hebrew journalist and newspaper
publisher, writes in this book of walking into
the Kamenitz Hotel in Jerusalem one autumn night
in 1911 and being asked by its proprietor:
” ‘Do you see that Turkish officer sitting there
in the corner, the one with the bottle of arrack?’ ”
” ‘Yes.’ ”
” ‘He’s one of the most important officers in the Turkish army.’ ”
” ‘What’s his name?’ ”
” ‘Mustafa Kemal.’ ”
” ‘I’d like to meet him,’ I said, because the
minute I looked at him I was startled by his piercing green eyes.”

Ben-Avi describes two meetings with Mustafa
Kemal, who had not yet taken the name of Ataturk,
‘Father of the Turks.’ Both were conducted in
French, were largely devoted to Ottoman politics,
and were doused with large amounts of arrack. In
the first of these, Kemal confided:

“I’m a descendant of Sabbetai Zevi – not indeed a
Jew any more, but an ardent admirer of this
prophet of yours. My opinion is that every Jew in
this country would do well to join his camp.”

During their second meeting, held 10 days later
in the same hotel, Mustafa Kemal said at one point:

” ‘I have at home a Hebrew Bible printed in
Venice. It’s rather old, and I remember my father
bringing me to a Karaite teacher who taught me to
read it. I can still remember a few words of it, such as­’ ”

And Ben-Avi continues:

“He paused for a moment, his eyes searching for
something in space. Then he recalled:

” ‘Shema Yisra’el, Adonai Elohenu, Adonai Ehad!’
” ‘That’s our most important prayer, Captain.’
” ‘And my secret prayer too, cher monsieur,’ he
replied, refilling our glasses.”

Although Itamar Ben-Avi could not have known it,
Ataturk no doubt meant “secret prayer” quite
literally. Among the esoteric prayers of the
Doenme, first made known to the scholarly world
when a book of them reached the National Library
in Jerusalem in 1935, is one containing the confession of faith:

“Sabbetai Zevi and none other is the true
Messiah. Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.”

It was undoubtedly from this credo, rather than
from the Bible, that Ataturk remembered the words
of the Shema, which to the best of my knowledge
he confessed knowing but once in his adult life:
to a young Hebrew journalist whom he engaged in
two tipsily animated conversations in Jerusalem
nearly a decade before he took control of the
Turkish army after its disastrous defeat in World
War I, beat back the invading Greeks and founded
a secular Turkish republic in which Islam was
banished – once and for all, so he thought – to the mosques.

Ataturk would have had good reasons for
concealing his Doenme origins. Not only were the
Doenmes (who married only among themselves and
numbered close to 15,000, largely concentrated in
Salonika, on the eve of World War I) looked down
on as heretics by both Muslims and Jews, they had
a reputation for sexual profligacy that could
hardly have been flattering to their offspring.
This license, which was theologically justified
by the claim that it reflected the faithful’s
freedom from the biblical commandments under the
new dispensation of Sabbetai Zevi, is described
by Ezer Weizman’s predecessor, Israel’s second
president, Yitzchak Ben-Zvi, in his book on lost
Jewish communities, “The Exiled and the Redeemed”:

‘Saintly Offspring’

“Once a year (during the Doenmes’ annual ‘Sheep
holiday’) the candles are put out in the course
of a dinner which is attended by orgies and the
ceremony of the exchange of wives. ... The rite
is practiced on the night of Sabbetai Zevi’s
traditional birthday. ... It is believed that
children born of such unions are regarded as saintly.”

Although Ben-Zvi, writing in the 1950s, thought
that “There is reason to believe that this
ceremony has not been entirely abandoned and
continues to this day,” little is known about
whether any of the Doenmes’ traditional practices
or social structures still survive in modern
Turkey. The community abandoned Salonika along
with the city’s other Turkish residents during
the Greco-Turkish war of 1920-21, and its
descendants, many of whom are said to be wealthy
businessmen and merchants in Istanbul, are
generally thought to have assimilated totally into Turkish life.

After sending my fax to Batya Keinan, I phoned to
check that she had received it. She had indeed,
she said, and would see to it that the president
was given it to read on his flight to Ankara. It
is doubtful, however, whether Mr. Weizman will
allude to it during his visit: The Turkish
government, which for years has been fending off
Muslim fundamentalist assaults on its legitimacy
and on the secular reforms of Ataturk, has little
reason to welcome the news that the father of the
‘Father of the Turks’ was a crypto-Jew who passed
on his anti-Muslim sentiments to his son. Mustafa
Kemal’s secret is no doubt one that it would prefer to continue to be kept.

source:
http://sundaymag.ca/index.php?id=860

===

-muslim voice-