From: wd [mailto:w...@wdicc.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:41 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: New to hive... slow query performance

Hi,

I think hive and hadoop just provide a way to easy scale up your data
analyzing, it's will not fast than any db in single node. If your data is not
large enough, for example 1GB per day, you should not use it I think.
2010/9/23 Sharma, Raghvendra
<sraghven...@corelogic.com<mailto:sraghven...@corelogic.com>>
Hi,

I am very new to hive, have just been able to load some data into it.

I am running hadoop on a old Pentium 4 box with 4 gb RAM.
It's a single node cluster, and configured based on tutorials from apache site
and others.

The load speeds to hdfs look ok, I am able to load approx 20 million rows in
around 2 minutes.
However, the querying is pathetic. It takes minutes to come back with a single
where clause, a simple count(*) sends it to sleep. A join is in terms of hours.
Since I am just starting, I am not using anything fancy, as in clustering or
partitioning of the table. (Is that a wrong choice ? I thought I'd start simple)

Somehow I have a feeling that it would be something to do with the wrong kind
of configuration.

Can someone help me..

PS : Are there no "forums" for hadoop/hive ?? I couldn't find any. :(

--raghav

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only
for the use of the

addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged.
If you are

not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the
intended addressee,

you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying
this message is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately
notify us by

replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies
immediately thereafter.

Thank you.

CLLD