if this is indeed a feature that is yet missing, I have a hack:

create a temp table that is seqFile format, then you dump to that table,
then since you know the location, just copy the part files from that location.
then delete that partition from the table manually. of course you may
run into some issues
such as "partition already exists" when you insert into the temp table
the next time, so you may need
to do an explicit delete from the temp table too.