From: homenet-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:homenet-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Curtis Villamizar
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 19:29
To: Russ White
Cc: homenet@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [homenet] Thoughts about routing - trends

In message <4e957f43.1060...@riw.us>
Russ White writes:

> >> You are absolutely right that pulling cable is hard and expensive.
> > Pulling cable is indeed hard and expensive. In my experience, it is
> > the right thing for some applications, such as TV and my home
> > office. Personally, I have both wired and wireless throughout the
> > house; my personal rule is that I use the shared wireless network
> > for activities that move around, to provide convenience at the
> > expense of consistency and bandwidth, and wired for things that
> > stand still, to provide stable bandwidth at the price of a one-time
> > wiring effort.
>
> I do the same --I pull cable for televisions, and even for locations
> where a desktop or laptop is going to be sitting on a regular
> basis. So I think we should expect wired and wireless as the norm,
> rather than expecting wireless all the time.
>
> While I wouldn't want to rule OLSRv2 completely out, I think it should
> compete head to head with an extended OSPF and an extended IS-IS, or
> even other efforts afoot. I'd rather see requirements first, and a
> good solid evaluation of what's available against those requirements,
> rather than choosing technologies out of the gate.
>
> :-)
>
> Russ

Russ,

At various jobs I pulled 10base2 coax, then 10base5 coax, then twisted
pair.  [Well someone pulled it, but not me.]  Anyone remember vampire
taps in 10base2?  What a reliability headache!

I pulled 10base5 coax at home before I pulled twisted pair and before
trying the early DEC Wavlan stuff that preceeded WiFi (again, at
home).  Too bad I moved and had to pull wire again (but I like the
result).

Back on topic: I do think we should consider OSPF (not so keen on
ISIS, but OK) and should not rule out OLSRv2 or other LLN related work
and MANET work (though I'm far from an expert on LLN or MANET).

We will have to extend OSPF to make zero config possible.  The
extensions should be completely backwards compatible if at all
possible.

Curtis