>>> requirement for HNCP to support a stub network with a gateway that
>>> doesn't have sufficient resources to run a routing protocol.

> Could someone describe what sort of resources these gateways (nest, I
> assume) actually have? - What OS they run, how much ram and flash is
> on them, is there virtual memory, etc?

Yes, that's perhaps a better approach.

Mark, please scratch my previous offer to implement a stub-only variant of
Babel.  Please let me know how much flash and RAM you give me, and I'll
do my best to fit Babel into that amount.

> I mean, babel, for example, is like, 61k, on mips with the sole
> dependency on libc.

I'm seeing 90kB on AMD64.  That includes three extensions to the core
protocol (source-specific routing, diversity routing, support for overlay
networks), but not the cryptographic MAC extension.

Memory usage is less than 100kB in typical deployments.  A (pessimistic)
upper bound on memory usage (not counting malloc overhead) in is given by

   (88 * neighbours + 48 * total_routers) * redistributed_prefixes

where a redistributed prefix is counted once per redistributing router
(e.g. two distinct edge routers redistributing the default route counts as
two).  This means that if you have a network with 100 routers advertising
400 prefixes, a router with 5 neighbours needs at most 200 kB of RAM.

I can see ways to optimise the memory usage even further (limiting the
number of fallback routes, tweaking the data structures), but my users
appear to be happy with the current performance, so I'd rather spend my
time elsewhere.

-- Juliusz