As I said at the microphone today, I think that the explanations of
how the prefix-assignment and naming proposals will handle renumbering
are convincing. I also agree that there is no real distinction between
renumbering and a change of ISP (as far as prefixes and addresses are
concerned, of course), and that break-before-make renumbering could
come at any time due to an outage or ISP behaviour. Make-before-break
renumbering (a.k.a. planned renumbering) is preferable but we can't
rely on it. (I also try to never forget Fred Baker's observation that
there is no such thing as renumbering: there is only numbering.)

However, I am fairly convinced that this is not the whole story and that
in the ideal world some sort of orchestration process is needed. I did
look through the issues in RFC 7010 and RFC 5887, and fortunately most
of them are beside the point for homenets. However, Dave Taht told us
recently that renumbering *is* currently broken, and I'd like to see his
list of issues. For now, here are the issues that I see:

0. Make sure that nobody ever even thinks about configuring
an IPv6 address manually (unless it's link-local, I suppose).

1. Warn users that renumbering is planned/has started.
(because long-living sessions will be affected, even in make-before-break)

2. We assume that a prefix delegation or withdrawal from above
by DHCPv6-PD will trigger the appropriate actions by
draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment. But I can't tell from the draft
how that happens. Presumably some process in the relevant CPE does it.

3. We also assume that a delegation or withdrawal will trigger the
appropriate action according to the future renumbering text in
the naming-architecture documents. Daniel's draft text says "This section
details how the CPE is expected to handle renumbering..."
Indeed, that is part of the orchestration process, but something
in the CPE is needed to trigger this (after triggering the PA process).

4. Hosts need new DNS server addresses. I'm not sure who causes
that to happen.

5. There may be unavoidable special cases (like informing firewalls
of new and deleted prefixes).

99. Inform users that renumbering has finished.

   Brian