> On 24.3.2015, at 16.15, Margaret Wasserman <margaret...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that this is a complex feature that would require quite a bit of
> work to get right.  There would also be work involved in standardizing the
> IS-IS autoconf and IS-IS source-specific routing extensions.  In addition, we
> might want/need to standardize a mechanism for running IS-IS over IP.  That
> would be considerable amount of work.
>
> I don't think it is likely to be a lot of work, though, compared to the
> effort to standardize Babel which would include:
>
> - Starting an IETF WG to do the work, and understanding that the WG would
> have change control over Babel.

Why does it need WG?

> - Substantial work to bring the spec up to the level of detail/clarity
> required for and IETF protocol.

More substantial than researching+standardizing some new IS-IS stuff? Editing
documents is hard, but I thought not that hard.

> - Consideration of many IETF requirements, perhaps most notably security
> requirements.

IS-IS is harder to secure than Babel. Both have HMAC-MD5 crap stuff, and Babel
you can run with e.g. manual keyed IPsec, IS-IS you cannot. Hmm.

> - Finding a second set of people who are willing to do a complete,
> independent, fully-interoperable implementation.

Well, I could find some weekend time if it is enough to kill this discussion.
40 page RFC cannot be _that_ hard to implement if the ‘big’ reference
implementation is 10k LoC.

> Personally, I think that Babel is an interesting Routing Protocol with
> substantially different applicability than IS-IS, OSPF or BGP, and it might
> be good to standardize it, whether Homenet adopts it or not.  However, I
> think that the time to do that would be a serious problem for Homenet because
> of the time pressure to finalize a standard for Homenet.

I wonder when do you think all of this IS-IS _research_, _standardization_ and
_implementation_ would be done?

Babel I can use _now_.

Cheers,

-Markus