Le 24/03/2015 17:19, David Lamparter a écrit :
Hi Homenet chairs & list,

Before we lose this, let it be noted that we seemed to have arrived
at "no" for an answer to whether we want to deal with non-transitive
 networks, *as part of this particular routing protocol discussion*.

If I'm misrepresenting the outcome from today's meeting, someone
please correct me.

That transitiveness issue is from the fact that their routers only have
1 interface.

Are there 1-interface routers in homenet?

(As a nail in the coffin for this:  IPv6 isn't even implemented for
NBMA networks, which a mesh falls under.  Without special ND
handling, Hidden nodes will fail DAD, and you can't expect to get a
mac address for a node you don't get multicast to.  Before anyone
reminds me of RFC 2491, please point to an implementation / a wifi
mesh that runs MARS.)

(The big community meshes usually don't have stupid clients in the
ad-hoc cloud.  If you're in ad-hoc, you speak the mesh protocol.
Stupid clients go to a separate AP/BSS on a mesh router of their
choosing.)

I *don't* think meshes are out of scope for homenet.  I do think
meshes need a mesh routing protocol.  But pulling this into the
current discussion seems to generate nothing but waste heat.

We dont have a definition of what a mesh is.  Saying mesh is inviting
people from RoLL and MANET WGs to argue.

However, I'd doubt a homenet is a mesh in their sense.

As a consequence, when we talk about 802.11, we would be talking
about AP / BSS, not ad-hoc / IBSS.

Yes and no.

Yes, at home most deployments are in AP mode.

But no in that still at home the WiFi landscape has recently become
reacher than the old dichotomy AP-mode vs adhoc-mode.  E.g. the 802.11ac
and ad products feature direct AP to AP communication for range
extension, or streaming from a tablet to a TV set, or a LED projector
switching between being an AP itself or being a Client to another AP.

No hidden node problem.  No intransitive reachability.  Massively
reduced marginal links (because when you start losing beacons
between AP and Client, you'll be deassociated.)

Tinkering about this.

Alex

Cheers,

-David