On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Daniel Migault <mglt.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Some brief element of response to your questions. While you are raising
> comments within a DISCUSS see your comment as a very high level question on
> what is the content of the draft with many questions related not to that
> draft. I am happy to respond, but there is nothing actionable that can be
> done, so please be more specific.
>
>> DISCUSS:
>>
>> This might be my misunderstanding
>
> of homenet, so hopefully easy to resolve.
>>
>> The HNA (hidden primary?) to DM (primary) DNS communication using DNS
>> Update
>> needs some kind of authentication, TSIG or SIG0 ?
>
> no
>
>> While TLS gives you privacy,
>> the DNS Update cannot be done with only TLS (as far as I understand it).
>
> please develop, but just in case, we do not use dns update to synchronize
> the zone. we use AFXR/IXRF over TLS define din XoT.

>> don't see any DHCP options to relay authentication information for
>> automatic
>> deployment?
>

> The FQDN "Distribution Manager FQDN" and "Reverse Distribution Manager FQDN"
> are sufficent to set a TLS session.
>
> So I don't understand how this would startup and be able to setup a
>> secure DNS update channel ?
>>

> TLS needs only names. The certificates binds the names to a key used for
> the authentication.

So you are using transport security as a means for data authentication.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5936#section-5  states:

   Ensuring that an AXFR client does not accept a forged copy of a zone
   is important to the security of a zone.  If a zone operator has the
   opportunity, protection can be afforded via dedicated links, physical
   or virtual via a VPN among the authoritative servers.  But there are
   instances in which zone operators have no choice but to run AXFR
   sessions over the global public Internet.

   Besides best attempts at securing TCP connections, DNS
   implementations SHOULD provide means to make use of "Secret Key
   Transaction Authentication for DNS (TSIG)" [RFC2845
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2845>] and/or "DNS
   Request and Transaction Signatures ( SIG(0)s )" [RFC2931
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2931>] to allow
   AXFR clients to verify the contents.  These techniques MAY also be
   used for authorization.

So you are going against the RFC 5936 SHOULD.

I even had to look this up because I didn't know you could do an AXFR as a
secondary
from a primary without DNS level authentication. Apparently you can, but
you SHOULD not.

Unauthenticated AXFR is meant for zones that are open to the public and dns
clients that want
to grab a copy. It's not really meant for the actual primary <-> secondary
channel. You might
find that some DNS software insists on authentication if configured as
secondary, as ACLs to
just limit on IP address is really considered too weak. While using
mutually authenticated TLS
might be an option these days, most DoH/DoT/DoQ I believe only consider
their use for privacy
of unauthenticated connections. I'm not sure there are implementations and
configurations out
there that deploy DoH/DoT/DoQ with mutually authenticated TLS.,

Paul