Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <nore...@ietf.org> wrote:
    > [per -18] I’m not sure if this my misreading of the behavior of
    > internal clients.  To clarify, the (internal) Homenet DNSSEC Resolver
    > will “... resolves the DS record on the Global DNS and the name
    > associated to the Public Homenet Zone (myhome.example) on the Public
    > Authoritative Servers.”?  Why would the internal resolver serving a
    > request for an internal client for an internal service go to the Global
    > DNS if the information if it could come from the internal Homenet Zone
    > it is already configured with?

Because it needs the glue records to prove it is authoritative.

    > As an operational consideration, why go
    > outside of the network if you don’t need to?  As a privacy
    > consideration, why leak the request to an outside entity if the network
    > already has the information.

    > [per -20] Thanks for the revised text: On the other hand, to provide
    > resilience to the Public Homenet Zone in case of WAN connectivity
    > disruption, the Homenet DNSSEC Resolver SHOULD be able to perform the
    > resolution on the Homenet Authoritative Servers.

    > -- Is there a reason this can’t be a MUST?

If the resolver and cache have been offline for long enough, any cached chain
of DS/NS/DNSKEY records from . down to the myhome.example might have expired.
(Consider a DNSSEC resolver on a host behind the gateway)

What to do in this situation has many answers with different tradeoffs.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-