>> According to Ahmon Dancy:
>> > After reading the documentation and FAQ, It's not clear to me why one
>> > would choose to or choose not to use the -i option to htdig.  Can
>> > anyone give me some insight on this please?  Does not using '-i' make
>> > the dig faster?  What does htdig do with old database if '-i' isn't
>> > specified?
>>
>> Yes, not using -i will make the dig faster if you have an existing
>> database.  The -i option causes htdig to wipe out the existing database,
>> if there is one, and dig all documents.
>>
>> Without -i and with an existing database, htdig goes into update mode,
>> where it checks all URLs in the database and in start_url, to see if
>> they've changed since the last dig.  If they have, or if they're in
>> start_url but not in the database, they're reindexed, and any links in
>> these documents will similarly be rechecked.
>>
>> Generally, checking to see if the documents have been modified is much
>> quicker than re-fetching and re-parsing all documents every time.

Great.  I think I understand.   For what I'm doing, -i is fine because
all the output is CGI generated (which, presumably, means that it will
always be "newer" that previous information).

Thank you for your help.  I wonder if you know the answer to this one
as well:

Can you explain each of these files (i.e., what good are they).

db.words.db
db.docs.index
db.docdb
db.wordlist

dn.wordlist and word.db seem to go together...  and db.docs.index and
db.docsb seem to go together...  But I don't understand their
relationship.