>> I see absolutely nothing security-related about this, but it is a
>> potential bug report, so we should consider it.

It's definitely not a security patch.  That was a miscommunication.

>> I'd be glad to revise this *if* someone can confirm that EAGAIN is
>> portable and/or in some spec like POSIX.

The best I can do is confirm that EAGAIN exists on the following
operating systems:

aix 4.2
tru64 5.0a (where it is an alias for EWOULDBLOCK)
freebsd 4.0 (where EWOULDBLOCK is an alias for it)
hpux 10.20
irix 6.5 (where EWOULDBLOCK is an alias for it)

You could also do:

#ifdef EAGAIN
<my patch>
#endif