On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 23:31 +0100, Christiaan Lamprecht wrote:
> Thanks Oleg,
>
> >  Socket timeout defines a maximum of period inactivity between two
> > _consecutive_ I/O operations.
>
> I've been looking through the connection manager code trying to find
> out what effect a ConnectionTimeout and SocketTimeout would have on
> the subsequent httpclient.executeMethod(hostconfig, method, null) call
> if the same connection was reused.

Christiaan,

This has nothing to do with HTTP requests. Socket timeout defines a
maximum of period inactivity between two consecutive I/O operations on
_that_ socket. For example, if the socket timeout is set to 1000 ms and
the server always sends a new IP packet within 999 ms, the socket will
never time out.

> i.e. does either timeout change something significant, so that the
> connection manager can't merely reuse the connection in the pool.

I do not think so

Oleg